Main issues for UK migrants transferring to an Australian SMSF

There are budget proposals which affect the contents of this page. See the latest budget proposals.
The amending legislation has now been published for consultation. See the: consultation hub.

This article also applies to Australian ex-pats returning from the UK
  1. To transfer or not to transfer?
  2. The need for a QROPS
  3. Australian QROPS now limited to age 55+
  4. How to set up a 55+ QROPS
  5. Keeping your UK pension money until you are 55
  6. Transferring your UK pension money to an Australian QROPS
  7. What you can transfer
  8. Australian tax payable on the transfer into the QROPS
  9. Timing of the transfer into the QROPS - the six month window
  10. Will your pension be liberated?
  11. Timing of pension receipts - the "five year plus" rule and UK tax
  12. "Five year plus" deemed domicile and UK Inheritance tax
  13. Reporting requirement of a QROPS, and the "ten year plus" rule
  14. Renotification of compliance to HMRC
  15. New HMRC online system for QROPS
  16. Investment restrictions with the UK sourced money
  17. Special rules applying if your UK fund is already paying a pension, or if you are already entitled to benefit from a UK drawdown pension

To transfer or not to transfer?

This depends on many factors and it is best to get totally informed about the implications. There is some information on this page, but it is not advice one way or the other.

The need for a QROPS

You won't be able to transfer your UK pension fund to an Australian superannuation fund without incurring substantial tax liability unless the receiving fund is a Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme (QROPS) under the UK rules. This applies whether you are transferring to your own Self Managed Superannuation Fund (SMSF) or to a superannuation fund run by others.

Australian QROPS now limited to age 55+

Since 6 April 2015 the only Australian funds which we can confidently say can be a QROPS are those which restrict membership or the receipt of UK sourced pension money to those aged 55 and above.

Here is the explanation for this.

In summary, since 6 April 2015 as a result in a change to UK pension law, in order for a fund to be a QROPS, the benefits payable to the member under the fund from UK sourced pension money must not be payable before the member reaches the age of 55 unless the member has retired on ill-health grounds. See the precise wording in the UK legislation.

The problem for Australian superannuation funds was that under Australian superannuation law earlier withdrawals are permitted in various circumstances, the better known ones being severe financial hardship and compassionate grounds. But this meant that Australian funds were non-compliant with this new requirement. Having wavered on the point, HMRC finally decided that no Australian fund could comply with the new requirement. However in mid-August 2015 HMRC accepted that an Australian fund which restricted membership to those aged 55 and above would comply.

How to set up a 55+ QROPS

Since 6 April 2015 some additional care needs to be taken into order to set up an Australian QROPS.

Firstly a correctly drafted trust deed is required, one which will satisfy HMRC. This would not only prohibit a release of funds when not permitted under UK law (age 55 or retirement on ill-health grounds) but also prohibit membership of the fund to those who have reached the age of 55. This means that all members of the fund must be 55 or over.

Secondly it is important to bring to the attention of HMRC that your fund is using a correctly drafted trust deed. This cannot be done merely by using the APSS251 form offered by HMRC nor by using the online system. Instead it requires a copy of the deed to be sent to HMRC with a covering letter. My deed is known to HMRC and was used by the very first successful 55+ QROPS applicant in the post 6 April 2015 regime (and the vast majority of the others since then).

Many people will have existing funds or even former QROPS for which they would like to obtain QROPS status under the post 6 April 2015 regime. Here are my thoughts about the various possibilities:-

Type of fundComment
Brand new fundThis is one option and HMRC is content to put such funds on the QROPS list. Since in Australia you can have as many SMSFs as you like, it is not a problem to start a new fund. It must limit membership to those aged 55 and above.
In fact, having a separate fund will assist to keep the UK sourced money separate from Australian sourced superannuation contributions, which may help the fund to comply with the investment restrictions.
On the other hand each fund will have auditors' fees. There will also be accountants' fees unless you do this yourself.
Existing fund now applying to go on the QROPS listAssuming all members are 55 or above, it is possible to amend the trust deed to restrict membership to members of 55 or over and HMRC will be prepared to put it on the QROPS list.
Existing fund which was a QROPS prior to 6 April 2015 (no longer a QROPS because of the new rules)Assuming all members are 55 or above, it is possible to amend the trust deed to restrict membership to those aged 55 or over to enable the fund to be relisted.
Also if the trust deed does not prohibit it, in theory it would be possible to make this amendment retrospective so as to validate transactions made after 6 April 2015 (however we will need to wait and see whether such an amendment would achieve its purpose).

My packs enable you to establish your own SMSF which contains a trust deed which HMRC have already accepted as sufficient to enable the fund to be placed on the QROPS list. The pack also advises on how to complete Form APSS251 and how to submit this to HMRC, and then how to transfer UK pension moneys or assets to the fund. See the qrops 55+ set up packs.

If you already have an SMSF then there is a pack available to enable you to amend your fund, and to apply for it to go on the QROPS list. The pack covers how to amend the trust deed, how to complete Form APSS251 and how to submit it to HMRC, and then how to transfer UK pension moneys or assets to it, see existing smsf to qrops 55+ pack.

Please note that all HMRC material now makes it clear that inclusion in the list of QROPS does not guarantee that a fund is in fact a QROPS. This means that there is no guarantee that a transfer to a fund on the QROPS list will not attract UK tax. In the pack, I advise that in my professional opinion if you use my trust deed and follow the steps in the pack and as a result the fund appears on the list of QROPS, then a transfer of UK sourced pension money can be made to your fund without incurring UK tax. Please note however, that no lawyer takes the responsibility of guaranteeing a particular outcome. For that, you would need an insurance policy.

Keeping your UK pension money until you are 55

There is no difficulty in keeping your money in the UK pension system until you are age 55.

If your UK pension money is in a personal pension scheme (defined contribution scheme, now known as a money purchase scheme) then it can be invested in the way permitted by such a scheme. Many such schemes are in managed funds, or the money can be in a SIPP (self invested pension scheme). One real advantage in keeping the money in such a scheme is that under UK pension and tax law, earnings within the scheme are tax free. When you transfer the money to Australia however, those earnings (since the date when you became tax resident in Australia) will be taxable under Australian law either at your marginal rate of tax or, if you make an election for the fund to pay the tax the rate will be 15%. This assumes the transfer is done more than 6 months after you became Australian tax resident. If within 6 months, then there would be no Australian tax to pay see the six month window and Australian tax payable on the transfer into the QROPS. Please note that whilst the money is an a managed fund or SIPP it does not have to be kept in pounds. The important thing is who holds the money, not which currency it is in.

If your UK pension money is in a salary based (defined benefit) scheme then you will have to decide whether to keep it in that scheme or to transfer it out to a SIPP or similar and keep it there until you reach age 55. There will be many factors affecting this decision. One will be whether the current Cash Equivalent Transfer Value (CETV) is a particularly good one because of current low UK interest rates. Another will be whether there is any age limit in the salary based scheme which restricts your ability to transfer out of the scheme (you need to check this with the scheme manager). A third will be whether it is prudent to transfer out of such a scheme at all, bearing in mind it will usually be inflation proof and provide benefits to your spouse or family on your death. And a further consideration will be whether the scheme is currently properly funded by the employer or whether it will continue to be properly funded. Another factor will be whether it is possible that transfers from the scheme may be prohibited in the future by a change in UK law. Finally it may be that in order to transfer the money to Australia at the age of 55, you will need to split it into different funds in order to achieve the transfer without exceeeding the non-concessional contribution limit (see just below). If so, then you will need to do this by transferring to a SIPP anyway at some point.

Transferring your UK pension money to an Australian QROPS

There are three limits to watch.
The first two are financial and the third is related to your age.

The UK financial limit

A transfer into the QROPS will trigger a test of your total pension funds against the UK "lifetime allowance" (currently 1.25 million in UK tax year 2014/15 and reducing to 1 million on 6 April 2016, unless you can apply for an exemption). The rate of tax payable to HMRC is 25% on the excess (although the rate of 55% applies to lump sum payments, this would seem not to apply because the money is not being paid to the member of the fund).

The Australian financial limit

Transfers from a UK pension fund to an Australian superannuation fund are treated as "non-concessional contributions" because they enlarge the amount in the fund and are not "concessional contributions" (they are not from a source where the contributor can claim tax relief). The annual cap for such contributions is $180,000. If you are under age 65 you can use up to three years' cap all at once making a limit of $540,000 over a three-year period (the "brought forward limit"). But if you do this, it does not mean you can contribute more than an average of the cap each year. For example, if you have never made any previous non-concessional contributions to your fund, and on 1 July 2014 you are under the age of 65 and you contribute $490,000 on that date, then you can contribute $50,000 on 1 July 2015. Then you would have to wait until 1 July 2017 before you could make any more non-concessional contributions. The caps and rules are subject to change: please check the current situation with the Australian Tax Office (ATO).

You need to consider the non-concessional contributions cap with two more things in mind. The first is that if any part of the amount transferred from a UK pension fund to an Australian superannuation fund becomes that fund's assessable income, then that part does not count towards the cap. What part of the amount transferred becomes the fund's assessable income? Well, it is the amount assessable to tax based on the growth of the UK pension fund since you became an Australian tax resident. See Australian tax payable on the transfer into the QROPS below how this may be calculated. You can see from that section that you can elect whether to pay the tax on that assessable amount personally or have the fund pay the tax on it. If you elect for the fund to pay the tax on it, then it becomes the fund's assessable income and does not count towards the cap.

The second thing to bear in mind is that the penalty for exceeding the non-concessional contributions cap has been relaxed. The regulations now state that it is acceptable to accept contributions in excess of the cap provided the fund does one of two things. The fund can either return the excess to the sender within 30 days (in many cases difficult to achieve in the case of a UK pension transfer because the sender is unlikely to be able to accept it) or the fund can accept a notice from the member within 30 days (a "section 290-170 notice") indicating that the member intends to withdraw the excess. If this last option is exercised then tax is payable to the ATO by the member at the member's marginal rate of tax on a notional amount (the "associated earnings") derived from the excess non-concessional contribution in the fund. This calculation assumes that the excess amount is in the fund for the whole financial year and that its earnings are at the rate of the ATO's General Interest Charge (GIC). A rough calculation of this tax can be made therefore before a decision is made about exceeding the limit. Since any such transfer would be in respect of a member who has reached the age of 55 anyway (because the fund would not otherwise be on the QROPS list) this withdrawal would not be an unauthorised payment for UK tax purposes. But whether or not it results in any UK tax being payable depends on whether the member has been a non-UK tax resident for five clear tax years see below.

The new relaxed rule about excess non-concessional contributions make it much less important than it used to be to keep within the annual limit (or the 3 year brought forward limit if it applies) but potentially the tax bill calculated as above could be a high one. So if you do wish to keep within the limits then the fund must either be reduced in some way or be split into separate funds and each fund transferred separately. If you are going to send the money in separate tranches, then splitting the money into separate funds is also important to enable you to elect for the fund to pay the tax on any increase in value of the fund since you became an Australian resident (if you miss the six month's window). This is because the election cannot be made unless the whole of the fund is transferred. The usual way to split the fund is through a UK SIPP. There are several SIPP providers who are now used to offering this service.

The Australian age limit

This arises from the Australian rule that you cannot make "member contributions" (your own contributions) into a superannuation fund after the age of 65 unless you are working. See the table in my article "Australian Super - how it works" for more information about this. Since a transfer from a UK pension fund to an Australian superannuation fund is treated as a non-concessional contribution, if you are over 65 you can only make such a transfer if you satisfy the work test.

You will also be unable to take advantage of the enhanced "brought forward limit" for transfers from that age (see "The Australian Financial limit" above).

What you can transfer

You can transfer your entitlement in a personal pension scheme, whether a self invested personal pension (SIPP), or managed pension fund. Normally the transfer is in the form of money. But, depending on the terms of the scheme it may be possible to transfer the assets underlying the scheme in specie, that is without selling the assets. Typically stocks and shares can be transferred in this way. After the transfer, such stocks and shares can be held in a stockbrokers' account in the name of the fund's trustee. For other types of assets you need to check whether the transfer is permitted by Australian rules about acquisition of assets from related parties.

In the case of an occupational pension scheme (one funded by your employer), then you will be able to ask for the Cash Equivalent Transfer Value (CETV), which is a lump sum amount representing the value of your scheme. If you are within one year of the normal pension age however, you may lose the right to transfer the cash equivalent of the scheme. You can find out about this by asking the scheme administrator. In particular you need to find out when you will lose the right to transfer.  

In addition to this, salary based (defined benefit) schemes offer substantial additional benefits, for example increases for inflation and a pension to your spouse on death which benefits will inflate the CETV. Should you consider transferring the money from such a scheme you will need advice about the prudence of this. The provision of such advice is now a UK legal requirement unless the value is small.

As announced in the 2014 budget, as from 6 April 2015 the UK government has restricted transfers from unfunded public sector defined benefit (salary based) occupational pension schemes. These are the pension schemes in the NHS, Armed Forces, Civil Service, Police and for Teachers and Fire-fighters. This restriction has been done by an amendment to section 95 of the Pension Schemes Act 1993 which stops transfers out from such schemes to other schemes holding the pension benefits as cash or assets. Note also that there is also a new power to cap the Cash Equivalent Transfer Value for funded public sector defined benefit schemes. This is said to be to protect the public purse, if required.

There are special rules if your UK pension fund is already paying you a pension or if you are already entitled to benefits from a UK drawdown pension. See below for these special rules.

Mechanics of the transfer

This is achieved by completing the forms provided by the UK pension fund. Normally you will not need any additional help to do this, and in my pack there is guidance as to what to expect and how to achieve the transfer.

Note that when transferring money into the QROPS, there is no need to change its currency. The transfer is effected by changing its ownership, not its denomination. So it can be retained in foreign currency if desired. This also means that it is possible at a convenient time to take advantage of foreign exchange facilities in (for example) a stockbrokers' account.

Australian tax payable on the transfer into the QROPS

Since the bulk of the money or assets transferred from your UK pension fund to the Australian superannuation fund is regarded as a non-concessional contribution, the fund does not have to pay tax because it received the transfer.

However, if the amount transferred has increased in value since you started your Australian tax residency (unless the transfer was within 6 months of your Australian tax residency - see below), there will be a taxable element as far as Australian tax is concerned. If you think of it, if you had transferred the money into an Australian superannuation fund on the day of your arrival in Australia, any increase in the value of the fund would have been taxed at 15% since then (in Australia a superannuation fund in its accumulation phase pays 15% tax on its income).

There are various rules which apply to the tax calculation. Firstly, if the money has increased in value because of contributions, then this part of the growth will be ignored.

In the case of a defined contribution (money purchase) scheme then provided there have been no contributions since the date of permanent residence the calculation is the difference between the amount transferred and the value of the fund at the time of permanent residence. The modern approach of the ATO (based on ATO ID 2015/7) is that only the exchange rate at the time of receipt is to be used in this calculation. This means that if the money was held in the fund in a foreign currency, the calculation should be done in that foreign currency and then converted to Australian dollars at the exchange rate at the time of transfer. However, the ATO may be willing to consider using differential exchange rates in an appropriate case where this would be fairer.

It is wrong to calculate the growth element of final salary (defined benefit) scheme by taking the cash equivalent transfer value at the time of transfer and deducting from this the cash equivalent transfer value at the time of permanent residence. This is because there are a number of elements involved in the change in value: final salaries in the employment, changes in periods of qualifying service, the age of the employee, the health of the employee, inflation, index linked stock returns at the time of valuation, the effect of scheme's rules and the extent to which the scheme is funded. These elements may be unrelated to "growth", and it is only the growth that is taxable. They may also be only notional at any one point in time. Instead, the modern approach of the ATO is to apply tax based on inflation since the date of permanent residence.

Liaison with the ATO about the tax to pay can either be by direct contact (see the ATO site for this) or by obtaining a private ruling.

Who pays the Australian tax arising on the increase in value? You can pay the tax at your marginal rate of tax or you can elect in writing on form NAT 11724 to have the fund pay the whole or a proportion of it at 15%. Whether you make that election may depend on whether you have any taxable earnings in Australia in the year in question, and whether you could make use of any tax loss if the value has gone down.

There are three further things to note about the election. Firstly, there is a requirement in section 305-80 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 that in order to make the form NAT 11724 election all the money in the UK pension fund must be transferred. Now that the tax consequences of exceeding the non-concessional contributions limit have been relaxed, it is not so important to ensure that the pension money is transferred in manageable chunks in different UK pension funds but it is something to watch.

Secondly, making the election can affect the amount counted towards the contribution cap. The view of the ATO (stated in the notes to form NAT 11724) is that the amount you elect as assessable income of the fund does not count towards the contribution caps. As an example, suppose your defined contribution UK pension fund was $170,000 at the time you became tax resident in Australia. When you transfer it to your Australian superannuation fund it is worth $200,000. This means that the amount assessable to tax is $30,000. Then, provided you elect on form NAT 11724 for the fund to pay tax on this element (that is, $30,000 x 15%) for the purpose of the contribution cap, the actual contribution that year is regarded as $170,000 and not $200,000.

Thirdly, the election can create a "taxable component" in the fund. If you intend not to withdraw from the fund until the age of 60 then this is not an issue. But any taxable component in the fund withdrawn prior to the age of 60 (on being permitted to do so, for example on retirement or transition to retirement) may be taxable on receipt. This is because by section 295-200(2) of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 these monies are added to the assessable income of the fund. Luckily they are only taxable on receipt if they exceed the low rate cap, which is $195,000 for the 2015/16 tax year.

Timing of the transfer to the QROPS - the 6 months window

Provided the money or assets transferred are received by the Australian superannuation fund within six months of the start of your tax residency in Australia the increase in value of the fund to the time of transfer will not be taxed.

When does the six month period start? For migrants into Australia, it is when the migrant arrives with the intention of staying permanently (Tax Ruling 98/17). For returning Australians, it is when they return to live in Australia. For those who arrive on temporary visas it will depend on various factors (see Tax Ruling 98/17). And on my reading of the legislation, the date of transfer is the date of receipt of the money and not the date of transmission, so if your fund has done well, you need to get the timing right.

There is a similar 6 month window in the case of Australian tax residents who have worked overseas. Then if a superannuation lump sum is paid upon the termination of that employment, the 6 months starts at the date of termination. There are certain other conditions which need to be satisfied for this tax exemption to apply.

Will your pension be liberated?

The following table compares the pension regimes in the two countries in so far as they apply to money in a private pension account (in other words the following does not apply to a salary based scheme for example a final salary scheme or defined benefit scheme).

  Australia United Kingdom
Is there tax relief on contributions? Yes Yes
Is there a limit on contributions? Yes Yes
Does the fund pay tax on contributions at the time of receipt? Yes, normally at 15%* No
Does the fund pay tax on its income? Yes, normally at 15% while in accumulation phase, zero when in pension phase Largely no
What proportion can be taken as a lump sum, when permitted? 100% 100%
Are withdrawals taxed? No, after the age of 60 Yes, except for the first 25%

However an Australian superannuation fund will not pay tax on a transfer-in from a foreign pension scheme because this is classed as a "non-concessional" contribution. Tax will be payable on the increase in value of the lump sum transferred-in since the start of Australian tax residency if the transfer is after the 6 month window: see timing of the transfer into the QROPS - the six month rule and Australian tax payable on the transfer into the QROPS.
As you can see from the above, the main difference between the two regimes is that whereas in the UK the fund pays no tax on the contributions nor on its income during the accumulation phase (before a pension is taken), in Australia the fund does pay tax on these. Once a pension is taken, however, this is reversed: in the UK most of the pension receipts are taxed, but in Australia (after the age of 60) they are not.

Timing of pension receipts - the "five year plus" rule and UK tax

After the transfer of the UK sourced money to an Australian QROPS, it is then within the Australian superannuation system and will be covered by the Australian rules. But withdrawals will also remain under the UK rules until the member has been continuously non-UK tax resident for five clear UK tax years.

This means that after the five clear UK tax years have passed, transfers of the UK sourced money to other funds or to the member are covered only by the Australian superannuation rules.

If the five clear UK tax years have not yet passed, UK tax will arise if the UK sourced pension money is transferred to a non-QROPS (this would be an unauthorised payment). Member's withdrawal is also affected by both rules within this time. In fact, since 6 April 2015, in respect of pension money which is not tied to a salary based scheme, UK rules of withdrawal have been more relaxed than the Australian rules. The UK rules now allow withdrawals from age 55 but the Australian rules only allow some of the money to be withdrawn from the "preservation age" (which is gradually changing from 55 to 60) or all of it upon retirement or age 65 (see my page Australian super - how it works).

If the member does withdraw UK sourced money within the five year period, then it is important to ensure that the withdrawal is done properly to avoid it being UK taxable. Firstly it is important to ensure that the withdrawal is permitted by UK pension and lump sum rules (otherwise it will be an unauthorised payment). Care needs to be taken. The following are authorised categories of withdrawal in this context:-

  1. Designation of assets and money for a pension arrangement with or without a one-off lump sum connected to the pension arrangement1
  2. A pension arrangement providing for payments for life2
  3. Lump sums not connected with the making of pension arrangements3
1 In UK terminology the pension arrangement is called a "Flexi-Access Drawdown Fund" and if there is a lump sum of this type it is called a "Pension Commencement Lump Sum"
2 Depending on its terms and who is paying it, this is called a Scheme Pension or a Lifetime Annuity
3 These are called "Uncrystallised Funds Pension Lump Sums"
Whilst it is early days with these provisions and advice needs to be taken about these matters, UK tax result would appear to be that:-

This is the result of adding sections 636A(1A) and (1B) of the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003 (which contains the 25% tax free - 75% taxable provisions) to the "member payment provisions" in Schedule 34 of the Finance Act 2004.

To ensure that a withdrawal is made in the correct category some formalities are required. Also an obligatory notice to the member and a report to HMRC is required. Advice should be sought on these matters.

A UK pension paid to an Australian tax resident will be subject to tax in Australia. So whilst keeping the UK pension money in the UK might make it accessible earlier, it might not be tax advantageous to do this. It depends on your overall financial position.

"Five* year plus" deemed domicile and UK Inheritance tax

Whether UK Inheritance Tax is payable on death is governed by "domicile" rather than tax residence. Under UK Inheritance Tax law it will take those who have had a long term UK domicile at least five* clear UK tax years to lose that domicile after the ending of UK tax residence (there is a period of "deemed domicile" after migration). It could be longer than this if the migrant cannot prove an intention to reside out of the UK indefinitely. Also domicile will revert to UK for those who become UK tax resident again. Unless there is a specific provision in the trust deed, a member's account balance in a superannuation fund will not form part of the member's estate on death because the trustee has a discretion to whom it should be paid. This means it would not be taken into account for UK Inheritance Tax purposes. However in Australia, a binding death benefit nomination (BDBN) is often used to direct the trustee to pay the account to a particular person or persons on the member's death. If a BDBN is made it removes the trustee's discretion and causes the account balance to fall into the member's estate. This means that it would be taken into account for UK Inheritance Tax purposes after all. For this reason, migrants should be careful when making a BDBN before they have definitely lost UK domicile or deemed domicile if their total estate is above the current UK Inheritance Tax threshold. And if there is any risk of a reversion to UK domicile then any BDBN should be reviewed.

The period used to be three years. The five year period applies to events after 5 April 2017: amendment to section 267 of the Inheritance Tax Act 1984 (by the Finance Act 2016).

Reporting requirement of a QROPS and the "ten year plus" rule

Note that these reporting requirements apply to all QROPS whenever they were established. They also apply to former QROPS, so you cannot avoid the requirements by asking that your fund is no longer a QROPS.

The reporting rules are currently as follows:-

  1. You must inform HMRC on form APSS251A within 30 days of a change of details of the fund eg. name and address, change of trustees.
  2. You must inform HMRC on form APSS251B within 30 days if the fund ceases to be a recognised overseas pension scheme.
  3. You must inform HMRC on form APSS253 within 90 days of a payment from a QROPS (or former QROPS) from money transferred into the fund from a UK pension if it is made either
    • within 10 years of that transfer or
    • to someone who is a UK resident in the tax year of the payment or
    • to someone who has been UK resident in any of the previous 5 tax years of the payment.
  4. If payments are by way of pension, only the first payment needs to be reported.

For the reporting requirements, see the aptly named Pension Schemes (Information Requirements - Qualifying Overseas Pension Schemes, Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Schemes and Corresponding Relief) Regulations 2006. This has been amended several times.

Renotification of compliance to HMRC

A QROPS now has to re-notify HMRC at five-yearly intervals that it continues to meet the conditions for a QROPS. If a QROPS fails to re-notify, it will lose its status as a QROPS.

When is the first time this will need to be done?

This depends on the date of the letter from HMRC granting QROPS status. For QROPS whose letter date is 1 April 2010 or later, then it will on the fifth anniversary of the letter and every five years anniversary after that. For QROPS whose letter date is before 1 April 2010, then it will be a date notified to the QROPS, but it will not be before 30 April 2015 or later than 31 March 2017.*

HMRC will send a reminder to the QROPS - this may be post or it may be sent electronically but the requirement to re-notify is not conditional upon receiving the reminder. It is therefore essential that a QROPS should ensure that it has given its current address to HMRC. If this has changed then HMRC can be notified on form APSS251A. It is also a good idea to register for the new online system (see below). Since all QROPS will be invited to use the new system, this will be a good test to see if HMRC has the correct address for your QROPS. If you receive no information about the new online system, then the address may be wrong, and you may miss the deadline for renotification.

The start of the renotification scheme has now been postponed until 6 April 2016

New HMRC online system for QROPS

HMRC introduced a new online system in December 2013 for sending information about your QROPS. All existing QROPS were supposed to have received login information directly from HMRC about this, but I know funds which did not receive this.

Although the new system can be used to register a fund as having QROPS status, this is no longer practicable for Australian schemes since they will need to show to HMRC that they restrict membership to those aged 55 and over. Such applications can only realistically be made by post.

Change of details and reports can however be made using the online system.

Investment restrictions with the UK sourced money

The part of your Australian superannuation fund which is referable to money or assets transferred into the fund from the UK is called the "taxable asset transfer fund" (TATF).

If the TATF is used to invest in those type of assets which would not have been allowed had this money remained in a UK pension fund ("taxable property") then they are subject to substantial additional UK tax. This would apply for example to residential property, holiday homes, timeshares, fine art, antiques, fine wine, jewellery, boats, cars etc.

Therefore you need to be careful when considering trying to use your Australian superannuation fund to invest in such assets. You will need to consider both the Australian rules of investment and the UK ones. This applies however long you have been continuously resident in Australia. The rules apply to all QROPS and former QROPS. They don't apply to a non-QROPS into which the UK sourced money has been legitimately rolled over.  

Special rules applying if your UK fund is already paying a pension or if you are already entitled to benefits from a UK drawdown pension

In these circumstances your rights in the pension fund are said to have "crystallised". Subject to the Australian age and financial limits the fund can still be transferred. But the fund as held in the Australian QROPS must exactly mirror the UK pension holding - it must be held in the QROPS and applied "like for like". Effectively this means that the whole fund must be transferred and also the same pension must be paid or the same benefits provided. And in the case of a drawdown pension, the fund must be transferred to an arrangement under which no other sums or assets are held. In other words at the time of transfer it must be held quite separately from any other funds. You would also need to check particularly carefully whether the Australian contribution rules, and the Australian minimum payment rules and the maximum payment rules (if they apply), would be transgressed upon complying with HMRC rules.

As for how the new flexi-access drawdown pensions which apply in the UK from 6 April 2015 can interact with Australian QROPS see this.

Jeremy Gordon
26 July 2016

Copyright © Jeremy Gordon
DirectDocs® is a registered trade mark in Australia.

This article only applies to UK registered pension schemes and Australian self-managed superannuation schemes regulated by the Australian Tax Office. It applies to UK migrants to Australia, and to Australian ex-pats returning to Australia from the UK.

Disclaimer - legal advice
This article does not arise from any instructions from you and it is not legal advice given to you. You should check for yourself as to the legal issues for UK migrants and returning Australian ex-pats transferring their pensions to Australian SMSFs. If you follow the information on this page, you do so at your own risk.

Disclaimer - financial product advice
This article provides factual information only and is not intended to give a recommendation or opinion about a financial product or class of financial products. It particular it should not be taken to be advice about the prudence of establishing an SMSF in Australia and transferring to it money held in another pension scheme or in another form of investment. You should satisfy yourself about this.

(the links open in new window)
For the UK provisions: The best source of these is the website of HMRC which carries the Pension Tax Manual which is relied on by Revenue staff. This contains the effect of the up to date rules and regulations.
Here are main relevant pages of the manual which you can search for, or you can browse through the whole manual:-
PTM113210 - re: application of tax charges to non-UK schemes.
PTM102000 - re: transfer to a QROPS
PTM112100 - re: what makes a scheme a QROPS
PTM112700 - re: QROPS reporting requirements
PTM112800 - re: former QROPS reporting requirements
PTM125000 - re: taxable property (restricted investment)
PTM108000 - re: transfers from pension schemes in payment
PTM104000 - re: transfer of drawdown pensions
PTM063300 - re: uncrystallised funds pension lump sum
IHTM01000 - re: Inheritance Tax
For the UK Legislation:
Go to UK legislation and look for the Finance Act 2004. The relevant parts are Part 4 of the Act and Schedules 28, 29, 29A and 34. Part 9 of the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003 is also relevant. These have been amended several times. You can request the latest version of this legislation online but unfortunately it is not kept up to date.
The relevant regulations are available from the same site, but they are even less likely to have been updated to display recent amendments.
The relevant ones are:-
Pension Schemes (Categories of Country and Requirements for Overseas Pension Schemes and Recognised Overseas Pension Schemes) Regulations 2006 - 2006 No. 206
Pension Schemes (Application of UK Provisions to Relevant Non-UK Schemes) Regulations 2006 - 2006 No. 207
Pension Schemes (Transfer of Sums and Assets) Regulations 2006 - 2006 No. 499
Pension Schemes (Information Requirements - Qualifying Overseas Pension Schemes, Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Schemes and Corresponding Relief) Regulations 2006 - 2006 No. 208
Pension Schemes (Taxable Property Provisions) Regulations 2006 - 2006 No. 1958
Sorry, without using an online law library or buying an up to date law book, it is very difficult to obtain the legislation as amended.
Also there is:-
Form APSS251 (QROPS application form).
The best source for Australian superannuation schemes is the ATO site where you can search for the online documents:-
"Tax treatment of transfers from foreign super funds".
Form NAT11724 (to report a transfer from a foreign super fund into an Australian super fund when tax is payable on the source fund's income and you want your fund to pay that tax).
These ATO documents are also very useful:-
"Self-managed super funds"
"Key superannuation rates and thresholds"
"If you go over the non-concessional contributions cap"
These documents are usually very clear and up to date.
For Australian legislation go to Comlaw and search for the relevant statute or regulation. Comlaw contains up to date versions of the legislation which can be viewed or downloaded.
There is a lot of outdated (and often undated) material which appears on search engines' results.

Australian super - how it works
SMSF - the legal framework
SMSF - human or corporate trustee?
SMSF - custodian (bare) trustee packs
Stockbrokers charge clause problems
10 good reasons to use my documents
Buy my documents now

UK Migrants and returning Australian ex-pats!
Qrops compliant documents and smsf advice
Pack to set up a QROPS compliant SMSF and transfer UK pension moneys or assets click here
Pack to obtain QROPS status for your existing SMSF and transfer UK pension moneys or assets click here

Jeremy Gordon is a barrister practising in Queensland and in the UK. He can be contacted by email using
or by mail at PO Box 354 Corinda QLD 4075. Or he can be contacted through his uk practice Chambers of Bernard Richmond QC, Lamb Building, Temple, London EC4Y 7AS, tel: 020 7797 7788. The conditions applying his work in Australia are here (opens in new window). For conditions applying to his work in England and Wales please ask.